Yep – only the 10th game at the Ballpark in Arlington’s history that ended in a 1-0 score.
The bad news…
the ZERO the M’s hitters put up
The good news…
the ONE the M’s pitchers allowed
Yes, I am fully aware that a loss is a loss is a loss…
BUT, I would MUCH rather they lose 0-1 than 5-11 – there is just no question about it.
Especially in THAT ballpark. And, like Wedge said after the game,
“…it was more about what the pitchers did (on BOTH sides) as opposed to what the hitters didn’t do.”
Blake likes him some “hometown pitching”…
Born in Irving, TX and drafted by the Rangers (17th pick of the 1st round in 2007) since coming to the M’s in the Cliff Lee deal, Blake has faced his old team 3 times (for a total of 21 innings) and given up only 4 runs, walked 3 and struck out 9 ~ great vs. pretty much any team ~ superb against the Rangers. Blake gave up the winning/only run in the 2nd after Betre doubled, advanced on a wild pitch and scored on a single. That was Blake’s only issue until the 7th, after getting one out then giving up a double, he hit Napoli (in the helmet – but he was OK). That’s when Wedge decided to pull him (after only 88 pitches)
His final line: 6.1IP – 6H – 1ER – 1BB – 3K
Tom finished things out nicely…
pitching 1.2 scoreless innings (one hit, one strikeout)
Okay, four hits is nothing to write home about….
- Until you consider that, until Smoak broke up the “no-hitter” in the 4th inning tonight – Neftali Feliz had had the M’s bats stymied to the tune of 0 fer 58 (dating all the way back to 2010).
- Great to see Smoak and Montero be the ones to collect the hits (two apiece) since they are a couple that need to get it going.
- Also a good sign – Figgy and Ichi with BBs
And then there was the ugly…
- Smoak GDIP in the first after Feliz walked 2 of the first 3 batters
- Seager and Saunders each with errors
- Seager getting a little over axious in a run down play (got the out between 2B and 3B but other runner advanced to 2B). Apparently, Wedge was a little more forgiving of Kyle than of Brendan (who was benched for the “non-DP” last night, among other things, apparently) considering he is not only a rookie but, playing a relatively new position.
two more chances to escape Arlington without being swept….