ON THE MOUND
Jeremy didn’t exactly cruise through the first three innings (as he had at least one base-runner in each) but, he was able to limit the damage to ONE run . . . then came the 4th when the wheels came off and the Reds scored THREE via a couple of doubles (ONE of them a 2RBI – by Latos, the pitcher!) an IBB and a single AND the 5th where the combination of a couple of TWO out walks and singles scored another pair for the Reds and they took a 6-3 lead
FIVE innings ~ SEVEN hits ~ SIX earned runs ~ FIVE walks ~ FOUR strikeouts
} Carter, having not pitched since June 25th (ill earlier on the trip) didn’t fair any better than Jeremy. A couple of singles and a double (with TWO out) scored THREE more and the Reds took a 9-4 lead in the 6th. He was able to retire the side in order in the 7th and hand the Reds their only scoreless inning since the 3rd.
} Danny (and the DEE behind him) had a horrible 8th as FOUR more Reds runs scored on a couple of walks, a FC, a couple of singles and a double (and TWO errors on one play).
AT THE PLATE
~ Things started out SO well . . . Endy singled and Kyle homered and it was 2-0 M’s again in the 1st
~ Latos settled down and proceeded to strike out SIX Mariners in-a-row until Brad worked a walk (on the 10th pitch of his AB in the 3rd inning – he would end up with THREE walks – and so far, he’s done nothing to lose the lead-off spot) and Endy’s single sent him to 3B and Kyle’s sac-fly sent him home, some more M’s manufacturing and the M’s took the 3-1 lead
~ Dustin (who was left stranded in his previous AB after doubling with TWO outs) singled with ONE out in the 6th and then scored from 1B on a double by . . . Brendan! And the M’s cut the Reds lead to TWO (6-4)
~ FOURTEEN total strikeouts (THREE by Michael ~all swinging~ one ended the 5th with TWO runners in scoring position trailing by a run) and another ZERO for ELEVEN w/RISP . . . argh!!!
IN THE FIELD
* Reds first run scored via a combo of a lead-off walk, passed ball and looper when Mike Z let a nearly perfect throw from Endy get by him (bounced off his shinguard)
* Endy with an awesome, diving catch just above the grass in RF robbing a base hit in the 7th
* but then in the 8th, Brad and Endy make separate errors on the same play that would eventually turn into TWO unearned runs
* Reds Phillips had a web gem in the 9th that robbed Michael S of a bast hit or more
* Dustin looking generally less than comfortable in CF
tweets of the game . . .