- Franklin Gutierrez appears to be well ahead of schedule recovering/rehabbing from his torn pectoral muscle. He has been throwing and will tart taking BP tomorrow
- Mike Carp suffered a strained shoulder diving for a ball in the outfield in the second game against the A’s in Tokyo. He had an MRI upon returning to Peoria that showed no structural damage. Optimistic estimates have him being ready for the home opener.
- Adam Moore has recovered from the broken bone in his wrist (and played 5 innings in a minor league game on Friday). He will travel to Tacoma when minor league camp breaks on Monday.
- Dustin Ackley, Michael Saunders, Carlos Peguero = flu like symptoms
- George Sherrill = respiratory issues
Back from the Japan adventure…
Reports are that everyone is a bit bleary-eyed and it will take some time for all the body clocks to get adjusted (hence, no one who made the trip played in the game last night). Logistically everything went off without a hitch – 145 made the trip on the Mariners charter and 147 returned (picked up a couple Japanese media to cover the M’s back at home).
Go to Japan, gain a fiance…
Greg Johns filed this story (with video) re: Brendon Ryan’s proposal
Ryan, 30, proposed to his long-time girlfriend on Tuesday on the Sky Deck on the 54th floor of Mori Tower, one of Tokyo’s tallest buildings, surprising her with a ring he’d brought from the United States as part of a master plan he managed to keep secret for months.
“I had this planned for quite a while,” said Ryan. “Once I heard we were going to Japan, I figured it was a pretty cool opportunity. Then MLB heard about it and stepped in and rolled out the red carpet for us and it was just awesome.”
Ryan told his girlfriend, Sharyn, that they were going on a tour and needed to get dressed up. MLB provided a fake “tour guide” who took the couple to the tower, where Ryan waited for the perfect moment.
“We got up there at sunset so it was starting to get dark and you could see the lights of the city and the Tokyo Tower was lit up,” he said. “It was perfect.” Ryan had asked Ichiro’s interpreter, Antony Suzuki, how to say “Will you marry me?” in Japanese. “So I dropped that on her,” Ryan said. “When she asked me what that meant I got down on a knee. It was kind of cool.”
The hyperactive Ryan thought of everything on this one, even realizing he shouldn’t trust himself to bring the engagement ring with him to Japan.
“One of the smartest things I ever did was give that thing to Felix [Hernandez],” Ryan said, “because I figured if anybody was going to lose it, he could afford it.”
M’s re-set their rotation for the resumption of the regular season…
@OAK – Vargas, Felix
@TEX – Noesi (vs. Darvish!), Beavan, Millwood, Vargas
which means ~ Felix for the home opener on Friday the 13th!
Here’s an explanation on the flip-flop
Alex Liddi named Peoria Rookie of the Year!
selected by “Peoria Diamond Club” made up of Mariners and Padres players
M’s release reliever Aaron Heilman who was in minor league camp…
Good luck, Aaron.