Ms 6 | Astros 10
on the MOUND
‘t was the ‘battle of the Wades’ – Miley vs LeBlanc . . .
- good news: our Wade outlasted their Wade, despite giving up a lotta extra-base hits, he only gave up TWO runs, struck out FIVE and went .2 innings longer than their Wade
- bad news: our Wade only made it through 4.2 innings before leaving w/a lat injury
- in other bad news: the TWO “A” bullpens guys – Armstrong and Alaniz (major league debut) EACH gave up a grand slam . . . yes TWO grand slams in the same game 😦
- positive note: maybe Gearrin has settled down a bit – second straight game w/o a walk after starting the season rather wildly
at the PLATE
- good news: THE STREAK is ALIVE! Thanks to Tom Murphy’s homer in the 9th (which would have tied the game had the Astros not gotten that pesky, second grand slam 😉 )
- other good news: another game w/at least SIX runs (FOURTEEN of their first SIXTEEN games!)
- still more good news: the hitters continue to have good, patient at-bats – made the other Wade throw 41 pitches in the 1st
- obvious bad news: it wasn’t enough (the ELEVEN K’s didn’t help much
in the FIELD
- no double plays but, hey, no errors 🙂
Well, this was unexpected!
Whodathunk that the Mariners would be leading the majors in WINS after the first ELEVEN games?!? Granted, they’ve played TWO more games than every other team but the A’s but, still . . .
Going in to today’s rubber match w/the White Sox, this was the stat leader board . . .
Yes! YOUR Seattle Mariners were leading in ALL the above offensive categories! (plus doubles and stolen bases – which didn’t show within the screen print) 🙂
And, AFTER today’s game . . .
the homer streak is alive! ELEVEN straight games with a home run!
And, the pitching isn’t all that bad – EIGHT wins from starters and SIX saves from relievers (despite our closer being on the IL)
And then there’s the defense . . .
once upon a time, among our strongest suits, now the weakest sauce 😦
Well, so much for my regular posting 😦
(my current commute, along with planning my daughter’s wedding – which we are hosting this September – makes for very little time to actually watch/listen to the games, let alone blog about them)
Hard to believe a month of games is already in the books!
- March 1-1
- April 15-10
- 16-11 overall and 2nd in the ALW
- one postponement (@MIN)
Team Leaders | offense . . .
- HR: Haniger (10)
- 3B: 1 each – Haniger, Gamel, Segura, Gordon
- 2B: Segura (9)
- Hits: Gordon, Segura (tied at 34)
- AVG: Cano (.313)
- AVG w/RISP: Segura (.500)
- SB: Gordon (10)
- BB: Cano (17)
- K: Haniger (26)
- played in all 27 games thus far: Cano, Haniger, Gordon, Segura, Seager
Team Leaders | pitching . . .
- ERA-starter: Gonzales (5.02)
- IP-starter: Leake (33.1)
- K-starter: Paxton (44)
- WHIP-starter: Felix (1.29)
- ERA-pen: Diaz (0.63
- IP-pen: Diaz (14.1)
- K-pen: Diaz (27)
- WHIP-pen: Diaz (0.63)
NOTE: Starters Mike and Felix each had ONE really bad game, James and Marcos each had TWO bad games and Erasmo has struggled in both of his TWO starts so far . . . hopefully, everyone can continue to stay healthy and get in the groove soon! The bullpen on the other hand – with a few exceptions has been great and Edwin has been other-worldly 🙂
Good tweets . . .
injuries seem to have subsided ~ knock on wood!
- Zu was out to start the season but, has been back since the 20th
- Lost Nellie for a couple of weeks early but, he came back with a bang!
- Ryon was also out for a chunk of time but has a hit in every game since returning on the 26th (including THREE homers! in the last TWO games!)
- the pitching has been healthy – just needs to be more effective 😉
Yes, we will take TWO out of THREE every time! (and all ONE-RUN games, at that!)
Mariners 2 | Indians 1
Mariners 5 | Indians 6
Mariners 5 | Indians 4
(covered Opening Day in previous post )
Each of the second and third game saw the M’s earn FIVE runs (one short of a win in one game and just enough to win the other). So, in the two games combined, they had EIGHTEEN hits, FIVE doubles, THREE homers and FIVE walks . . . very decent production.
Mitch is on F I R E !!!
I know, it’s only three games but, still . . . fun to see him leading the majors in BA/OBP/OPS/SLG 🙂 especially since I picked him to be the best “new-comer” last season and he was off to a great start but, then got hurt (a couple times 😦 )
Speaking of injuries . . .
oh, Nellie! a homer in each of the first TWO games and then some freak accident, turning his ankle stepping into the dugout 😦
spectacular wall-climbing catch on Saturday: Ichiro’s robbery
On the MOUND
- James had a bit of a blip on Saturday (OK – giving up a grand slam in the first inning is not how anyone draws it out) but, he’s allowed a mulligan or two if he can just stay HEALTHY this season (please! please! please!).
- Mike Leake had a nice > quality start in Sunday’s game: SEVEN innings – FIVE hits – TWO earned runs – THREE walks – FOUR strikeouts
- Overall, the BULLY was pretty great. As mentioned, Eddie’s save on Thursday was a bit of an adventure but, Sunday’s was a gem: 1-2-3 SIT!!! The pen followed up James’ short and not so sweet outing with FOUR.ONE innings of HITLESS, SCORELESS ball!
So, really seems that it all comes down to health . . .
- Seems like the new guys (Gordon, Healy, Marjama) really have a chance to contribute.
- Kyle off to a slow start (but, then, you can pretty much draw up his season in PEN – slow start but great defense and in the end .260 w/25 homers.
- As mention, Mitch is hot and Robbie’s not far behind, Segura should be steady.
- Get well soon, Nellie and Zu!
- And, of course the arms . . . please protect the arms!
Next up – short 2-game series w/the Giants in SanFran and then the Twins home-opener (another Thursday/Saturday/Sunday series) then off to Kansas City for three).