Mariners 6 | Blue Jays 5
Putting it all together!
ON the MOUND
Taijaun needed to go STRONG and LONG because of the bullpen situation (meaning DEPLETED)
It wasn’t looking good early for Tai, he wasn’t able to go quite as long as desired but, save for too many walks (he’d only given up ONE in his previous SEVEN starts and gave up THREE today) he really gutted it out . . .
– In the 1st, the homer to Donaldson in the 1st didn’t seem a huge concern
– Ugly 2nd: Single, Double, Balk, Single, Error, Walk, SacFly gave the Blue Jays THREE runs before Tai got THREE outs
– In the 3rd a single was erased after a fly ball and a beautiful strike ’em out, throw ’em out DP
– And then the 4th will be one to remember: a TRIPLE play! (explained below In the Field)
– The 5th was a thing of beauty with Tai striking out the side
– 6th not too shabby despite a lead-off walk – a DP followed and then a K (on a 97mph fast ball)
SIX innings ~ SIX hits ~ FOUR runs ~ THREE earned runs ~ THREE walks ~ SIX strikeouts
Considering the condition of the BP going into this game – they did a STELLAR job . . .
} Dave gave up a lead-off homer in the 7th (to Carrera who had just robbed Zu in the last half inning) and walked a batter but was able to escape further damage
} Mark is SUPER STUD! Threw TWO scoreless innings w/THREE strikeouts. Things were a little dicy in the 9th when he had TWO on, TWO out but got Donaldson to groundout and kept the game tied.
AT the PLATE
THIRTEEN hits in all, only THREE extra-base hits but, they were BIG ones . . .
~ AJ with a lead-off homer in the bottom of the 1st
~ Nellie with a TWO-run bomb to tie the game in the 7th
~ Guti with a solo shot w/TWO outs in the bottom of the 10th 🙂
M’s had runners on in every inning except the 2nd and the 8th . . .
~ Only TWO batters (Mark and Chris) were without at least ONE hit
~ FIVE batters had multi-hit games (including ZU with THREE!!)
~ Top of the order (AJ, Kyle, Nellie) was 6/14 w/THREE runs and FIVE RBI
In the 3rd, they singled Buehrle to death: THREE straight singles (Brad, Mike, AJ) for their second run and then TWO more (Nellie and Robbie) for their third (to bring it back to a ONE run game). Guti also drew a walk (Buehrle hadn’t given up a walk in his past five starts)
So happy to see Zu coming ’round. He had THREE more hits and scored a run (did NOT strikeout). In the 6th, he missed a TWO-run shot by mere INCHES as Carrera robbed him at the yellow line.
IN the FIELD
Well, you don’t see THIS everyday . . .
* they also turned TWO DPs (Zu to Chris and Mark to Miller to Mark)
* error by Chris at 2B messes up chance for a DP in the 3rd
tweets of the game . . .